Rain Water Harvesting
Why use rainwater?
Using rainwater can reduce your water bills as rainwater is free. Collecting rainwater allows you to be prepared for times of low rainfall, so you can still maintain your garden, especially if there are water restrictions in your area.
Capturing rainwater reduces the load on stormwater systems because roof runoff is not flushed into the drains.
Using rainwater reduces the need to build more water storage dams, which may have to be situated in environmentally sensitive areas.
Benefits of installing a rainwater harvesting
• Saves large amounts of water which can be used in the garden or in the home.
• Requires a relatively simple system which is easy to use.
• During the wet season, when the garden doesn’t need any extra watering, rainwater can be connected to the house and used for toilet flushing as well as in the laundry.
• Rainwater is also suitable for use in pools and for washing cars.
• In some rural areas, it is possible to use rainwater for all domestic uses, and not draw upon the mains supply.